cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Gerhard Froehlich" <g-froehl...@gmx.de>
Subject RE: [RT] Enhancing Cocoon Visibility
Date Tue, 15 Jan 2002 21:06:26 GMT
Hi,

<skip/>

wow, very philosophic.

>                                   - o -
>
>Cocoon2 was designed so that it was not possible to understand if a site
>was powered by Cocoon or not.
>
>While this is a great technological and architectural advancement, it
>has a major drawback: visibility is lost.
>
>If we look at other major ASF projects, many of them have a simple way
>to make themselves visible:
>
> 1) Apache HTTPD uses the 'server' HTTP headers.
>
> 2) it also allows modules to add their presence into the server header.
>
>(PHP, mod_perl and mod_dav use this feature to make themselves known)
>
>we don't have access to that string (unless we tie Cocoon directly into
>the Apache API via JNI, but I don't think we want to go this way), nor
>there is any standard way to obtain some servlet information from the
>servlet container.
>
>what to do?
>
>I see a number of solutions (you have more, make yourself heard):
>
> 1) adding an implicit 'cocoon-status' resource (for example
>/about-cocoon)
>
> 2) adding a implicit 'about' resource view (for example
>?cocoon-view='about')

+100

> 3) adding cocoon-specific HTTP header to the response (for example
>x-cocoon: 2.0.12)

+100

>Of course, we must prevent people from having the chance to disable this
>so we must make sure things have a very low impact on resource.
>
>What do you think?

<lofty>
I'm more that "simple minded guy from the province" and I say, let's show
what we're doing and let's make Cocoon (and the ASF) more visible.

Personally, it makes me very proud when people are saying "what, you participate
on Cocoon, way kool". And I would be more proud, when I could show people the
http header and they see the Cocoon brand.

People, we are doing hard work and all without getting paid, let's show off
(proffesional)!
</lofty>

  Gerhard

"All the trouble in the world is due to the
fact that man cannot sit still in a room.
(Blaise Pascal)"