cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Royal <pro...@managingpartners.com>
Subject Re: Matchers vs. Selectors [was Re: Retuning Sitemap Design]
Date Tue, 15 Jan 2002 21:24:44 GMT
On Tuesday 15 January 2002 03:23 pm, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> Are there some things that can't be unrolled?  Sure, but a great many
> things can.  In many installations, a URI will represent a collection of
> resources on the harddrive that the sitemap then assembles into the final
> resource.
>
> With your pattern given above, we might have something like this:
>
> <map:match pattern="movies/*/*/*">
>    <map:generate src="docs/movies/{1}/{2}/{3}.xml"/>
>    <map:transform type="i18n" src="{1}"/>
>    <map:transform src="site2xhtml.xsl"/>
>    <map:serialize.>
> </map:match>

When I saw Stefano's example I instantly thought he was demonstrating a
resource that would be generated dynamically, and thus unrolling would do no
good. (Just to show that two people can look at the same thing and get
something completely different)

While many Cocoon users will be starting from static files on a filesystem, I
would imagine that an equal number would be dealing with pure dynamic
resources that would not benefit from the unrolling.

I do think that your idea is excellent for filesystem-based resources.
Perhaps the ability to plug in different types of pipeline's would be the
solution?

<map:pipeline type="filesystem-unrolling"/>

-pete