cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Lewis, Andrew J" <Andrew.Le...@jbosc.ksc.nasa.gov>
Subject RE: Cocoon and Jetspeed portal
Date Tue, 15 Jan 2002 14:55:10 GMT
possible yes, by having Jetspeed functionality at the generator level.

To start with, I have project contraints regarding authentication and authorization that would
require me to implement my own security service for Turbine. I am moving the site to 100%
XML based content, which is not the focus of Jetspeed. The Cocoon 2.0 pipieline is built for
streaming, and that would be difficult to maintain with Jetspeed.

Jetspeed and Turbine has many of the concepts I am looking for, but after weeks of working
with the implementation (I really tried), it would be simply more work to force them to do
what I want, than to re-implement. I try never to force the tools I'm using to perform unnatural
acts - at a certain level of coercion, I simply assume I have the wrong tool. Maybe it is
just my take on what needs to happen. Jetspeed has some really cool stuff, and for some solutions
I'm sure it is a very quick effective route. My project is less concerned with allowing the
user to change thier layout and skins nad more focused on content and application aggregation.

The other side of it of course, is that if I do a good job and get all of the right signatures
around here, there is always the possibility that the Cocoon project would be interested in
the code...and that would solve my maintenance concerns.