cocoon-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Cocoon as OS
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2002 18:30:28 GMT
Matt Sergeant wrote:
> 
> On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> 
> > Matt Sergeant wrote:
> > >
> > > On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> > >
> > > > > 3) The analogy of the sitemap to a filesystem ("the sitemap is like
a
> > > > > specialized filesystem for URIs") could be a very powerful explanation
> > > > > to first-time and beginner cocoon users.  Maybe I should have said,
> > > > > "Sitemap as Filesystem" instead of "Cocoon as OS".  This may be
> > > > > something to put in the documentation.
> > > >
> > > > I'm not sure this is the way I like users to see the sitemap. In fact,
> > > > it was created *exactly* to show that one2one URI-space filesystem space
> > > > is a hack from the NCSA days and should be avoided, even in your mind!
> > >
> > > If you really felt strongly about that the sitemap/matcher would have no
> > > "wildcard" support
> >
> > I never said that!
> 
> I know, I'm taking the argument to the extremes.
> 
> The point is that Cocoon's wildcard system works in almost exactly the
> same as any web server's DocRoot system. So Cocoon is no "better" in this
> regard to any web server.
> 
> Of course that's an oversimplification, not everyone uses something like:
> 
> <map:match pattern="*">
>   <map:generate src="root/{1}.xml">
>   ...
> </map:match>
> 
> But I would imagine that's the easiest thing to do at first, and suffers
> exactly from all the breakages possible with a direct URI->fs mapping that
> web servers use.
> 
> That's all. It's not really a criticism - because if you made it more
> complex it would be a pain in the ass to use. There's always going to be
> compromise between those who want to be able to shoot themselves in the
> foot to get something done fast, and those who want to take longer but be
> assured of safety.

Ah, now I get your point.

I agree with you, but only one thing: httpd.conf seems to suggest
one2one URI2filesystem matching and only a module provides rewriting
rules (yeah, well, it also brews coffee, but that's Ralph's view of
software programming), the Cocoon sitemap is (in my humble and heavily
biased opinion) more balanced between the need for simple URI management
and normal URI2resource mapping capabilities.

I won't be surprised to see people adding sitemap-like semantics to
Apache 2.0 once pipelines of modules start appear.

-- 
Stefano Mazzocchi      One must still have chaos in oneself to be
                          able to give birth to a dancing star.
<stefano@apache.org>                             Friedrich Nietzsche
--------------------------------------------------------------------



---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: cocoon-dev-unsubscribe@xml.apache.org
For additional commands, email: cocoon-dev-help@xml.apache.org


Mime
View raw message