cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ServletConfig.getRealPath
Date Wed, 23 Jan 2002 14:03:37 GMT
shenoy, nitin wrote:

> Pardon my ignorance, but what is HSQL used for in Cocoon? Is it a
> centralizable resource kindof like a singleton within a Cocoon deployment?
>
> If (HSQL == Centralizable)
> 	then there should be only one server that hosts HSQL and all others
> could point to it
> else
> 	HSQL files could be moved to the work folder

HSQL is a demonstration database for the examples that come with Cocoon.
A production webapp will not/should not use HSQL.  Therefore, it is only
used on a "non-clustered" server.

> Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
> Cocoon uses a logging package--so that "concern" is not directly handled by
> Cocoon.  Also, that logging package can store the logging information in a
> database, or on a remote machine.  That way all logging information is
> centralized.  We need to fix the AsyncLogTargetFactory so that it actually
> works--when that is done, the Cocoon logs will be using that.
>
> This should speed up the logging facilities tremendously.
>
> </snip>
>
> Agreed@concerns. Dont know about performance neccessarily with the Async
> logging because with a message based scheme, durable messages are as
> expensive if not more than synchronous calls (in my past experience...not
> necessarily a fact with every implementation). If durable messages and
> reliable delivery is not essential (which I happen to think is a fair
> assumption...unless the system is a financial application), then async
> should definitely help, I think.

Keep in mind the nature of web applications.  The net is bursty in nature,
therefore the logging would be deffered until there are sufficient resources.
Now, it is conceivable that the bursts will be long enough to impair the
logging system as a whole.  There are two things we can do here: drop
messages below a certain priority,  or force the logging thread into a higher
priority than the web server.  Log messages don't tend to take too long
to process.

Also keep in mind that the logging configuration is alterable using the
logkit.xconf file--so if you don't want asynchronous logging you don't
need to use it.

Lastly, in production, you won't be logging anything below WARN level anyway.
That vastly reduces the amount of logging activity all over.  Even just knocking
off INFO will help.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin