cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Promotions, Revisioning and Workflow
Date Wed, 23 Jan 2002 11:09:59 GMT
Michael Homeijer wrote:

> I think the CMS should support the following seperation:
>
>      [frontend] - [CMS(1)] <- promotion <- [CMS(2)] - [backend]
>                     |                          |
>                  [store]                    [store]
>
> In this picture CMS(1) is optimized for publishing/speed and CMS(2) is
> optimized for workflow, version mgmt and versioning.
>
> Does this make sense for your KMS?

well, this is a good question :)

but I think it's too early to tell. I mean: yours sounds more as an
implementation detail because I could refactor your diagram as

                 +---------------------------------+
    [frontend] - |[CMS(1)] <- promotion <- [CMS(2)]| - [backend]
                 +---------------------------------+

                       +---------------------+
                       |[store(1)] [store(2)]|
                       +---------------------+

then substitute

 [CMS] := [CMS(1)] <- promotion <- [CMS(2)]

 [store] := [store(1)] [store(2)]

and get again

 [frontend] - [ CMS ] - [backend]

              [store]

Note that this is *very* high level. By unifying the two stores, I'm not
saying that they must reside in the same software or even in the same
machine or network.

This is just a study of the 'concern islands' which is much more
abstract than any implementation detail, but I thank you for your
comments since it's good to have a clear vision of the possible
implementation issues even at this very high level stage.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.