cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ServletConfig.getRealPath
Date Wed, 23 Jan 2002 10:46:41 GMT
"Piroumian, Konstantin" wrote:

> > Piroumian, Konstantin wrote:
> >
> > >The main problem with getRealPath() is its usage in CocoonServlet.java.
> It's
> > >used there to construct the classpath depending on the /WEB-INF/lib and
> > >classes files. IMO, this is a very wrong approach, cause Servlet
> > >Specification (at least 2.3) describes how a webapp classloader should
> > >behave and how to specify dependent classes in MANIFEST files. Overriding
> > >these rules causes incompatibilities.
> > >
> > >We are deploying our EAR application to WebLogic 6.1sp2 with a lot of
> > >dependencies using Manifest files for that and everything (with minor
> > >issues) work as expected.
> > >
> > >Regards,
> > >    Konstantin Piroumian
> > >
> > FYI, I use a version of the Cocoon servlet where I commented out all the
> > classloader stuff.
> >
> > Since it seems to be a common problem, what about moving all classloader
> > stuff from CocoonServlet to ParanoidCocoonServlet and tell people to use
> > that one if they have class loading problems, which seems to happen less
> > often as servlet engines mature ?
>
> So, what about having a clear CocoonServlet and specific servlets (if
> needed) for different platforms: WebLogic, WebSphere, etc.?
>
> This will be the first and necessary step in removing all getRealPath()
> stuff from Cocoon.

Hmmm, that ends up *easily* as a nightmare of dead code floating around.

My suggestion would be to try to fit all needs and create workarounds
(inline!) for those environments that don't comply... having several
servlets is *very* likely to create different in synch between them as
we go.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.