cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ServletConfig.getRealPath
Date Wed, 23 Jan 2002 10:40:33 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
> <snip/>
>

> >HSQL should be considered a library used by the cocoon 'samples' and the
> >files should be removed from /WEB-INF/ since it seems that Cocoon makes
> >use of HSQL internally (which is NOT and will never be the case!)
> >
> ... and if you use a clustered server, you're likely to use some more
> heavyweight database ;

Of course :)

> >For logging, I think that Cocoon should not attempt to provide
> >centralization of logging, it's not its concern.
> >This is why I'd like to have the ability to log into the servlet
> >container directly: if they provide transparent clustering they will
> >very likely provide transparent log centralization (probably
> >asynchronously for better system performance).
> >
> There's the ServletTargetFactory that logs to the servlet container. It
> is declared in logkit.xconf and was used up to recently to log all
> errors to the engine's log.

Is this documented?

> About clustering, we have a component that I think won't work in
> clustered environment : the FragmentExtractor/Generator. It grabs on the
> fly parts of a document and keeps them in memory for servicing by
> requests that follow the current one. In a clustered environment, it is
> very likely that those requests are served by another computer in the
> cluster, and thus the extracted fragments won't be found.

Damn, that's right. BTW, I've always considered it to be a hack, but
never found an objective evidence for it: I think you did :)

I think we need to seriously consider removing it and provide a better
alternative is the functionality is used (I never found the need for it
myself, but others might have)

What do you think?

> As solution could be to store these fragments in the servlet session :
> clustered engines either use a single computer for a session or
> communicate session data between computers.

..or the load balancer is able to 'reroute' sessioned requests back to
the machine they originated from (which is what we designed in mod_jserv
where we hit the record to 12000 stateful-req/sec (no, I'm not kidding)
which is probably a higher load than hotmail.com)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.