cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <>
Subject Re: ServletConfig.getRealPath
Date Sat, 19 Jan 2002 09:22:47 GMT
"shenoy, nitin" wrote:
> Hi Folks,
> I think Cocoon is a very powerful framework and I respect all the hard work
> and effort that has gone into the making of Cocoon.
> Now for my question :)
> Is the decision to use ServletConfig.getRealPath in cocoon a good design
> decision?

Absolutely not! It's a very bad one indeed!

> From the Servlet 2.2 spec ..... "when the web application is
> executed from an archive, on a remote file system not accessible locally, or
> in a database, these methods must return null."

yes, I was part of the team that suggested the introduction of a better
abstraction than getRealPath().
> BEA Weblogic returns null in a War file format (as most of you folks are
> probably aware already) and a ton of Cocoon users are screaming all over the
> place about not being able to deploy Cocoon in a war format.

I know, I know, this sucks!
> I wanna volunteer to try and fix (or is adapt the right word?) Cocoon so
> that it works in war format (only 13 files use the getRealPath method) under
> weblogic but I also think I can do a better job if I understand the
> perspective correctly.

The perspective is dead simple: cocoon2 hasn't been yet *polished* and
nobody here has been bugged enough by this problem to make it go away.
> Please do bear with me if the above topic is a non issue, but I do see a lot
> of postings on the Cocoon users list and the BEA weblogic list.

Oh, it is an issue, so I'll be personally very happy if you try to fix

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, email:

View raw message