cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Startable Components (hsql)
Date Fri, 18 Jan 2002 19:15:25 GMT
Martin Holz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> in Cocoon#initialize the HSqlServer will be started, if it is not disabled in
> cocoon.xconf . This is a  hack to get the SQL examples running.
> If you want to run other services,  you must modify Cocoon.java.
> Since Cocoon is a core class, that's usually not a good idea.

Does the Component implement Startable?  Seriously, all components in the
configuration file (cocoon.xconf) are fully initialized by the ECM when the
ECM is initialized.  This currently works in CVS.

> I have replaced the HSql start by a more general routine,
> which starts all components, which are listed in cocoon.xconf.
> You would add this section to cocoon.xconf
>
>    <startable-list>
>             <role name="org.apache.cocoon.components.hsqldb.Server" />
>            <role name="your.own.StartableComponent" />
>    </startable-list>

I don't like this as it is a hack that should not be necessary.  Make
sure the initialize() method is called on ExcaliburComponentManager while
Cocoon is setting everything up.

> Is it a problem, to add entries for non-components to cocoon.xconf?
> Does anybody has a better name than startable-list?

My idea for any non-component elements in a configuration file would be
for global context information (additional values in Context).

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin