cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Enhancing Cocoon Visibility
Date Wed, 16 Jan 2002 13:53:17 GMT
Lewis, Andrew J wrote:

> for what its worth, I agree completely. A new header causes no grief to
> anyone, shouldn't impact performance, etc.
>
> Question though - could it be removed via Servlet 2.3 filters? (I'm not well
> ernough versed in the 2.3 API to know for sure..)

Sure it could.  You just can't use that approach for Servlet 2.2 containers.

A while ago I proposed separating out the core of Cocoon from the interface.
That would mean you would have a core Cocoon API jar, a core Cocoon implementation
jar, and a jar for Servlet 2.2 environment, a jar for Servlet 2.3 environment,
and a jar for command line environment.

That means that all the interfaces for the components would go into the Cocoon API
jar--but only the ones that are meant to be extended (for example the cache
janitor component is not eligible because it is only used for internal components).

With the recent restructuring of the cocoon base, it would now be possible
to even separate out the source hierarchies.  This would give us:

/src/java       # cocoon implementation classes
/src/api        # cocoon interface classes
/src/servlet2.2 # servlet 2.2 interface classes
/src/servlet2.3 # servlet 2.3 interface classes
/src/command    # command line interface classes

alternatively, all the interface stuff could live in /src/interface/{type}

This allows us to customize the environment for each of the expected systems
without complex conditional compiling and other tricks.  It also allows us to
create a class that is used strictly for loading Cocoon and managing the instance
into the API jar.  That allows us to strictly control the classloader hierarchy,
and avoid issues with noncompliant (but falsely advertised as compliant) containers.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin