cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject [update] TreeProcessor now available
Date Tue, 15 Jan 2002 15:31:08 GMT
Hi team,

I finally finished the interpreted implementation of the sitemap engine.

The treeprocessor package in scratchpad contains a generic engine for
pipeline-assembly languages based on evaluation trees, and the sitemap
subpackage contains the implementation of the (well-known) sitemap language.

This engine builds a tree of nodes that are used to process an
environment (i.e. incoming requests). Nodes can also be linked to nodes
in other branches of the tree, thus actually turning the tree into a
graph. This is used, for example, for sitemap views and resources.

The main design goals were :
- short load time,
- detect errors or inconsistencies ASAP and provide meaningfull messages
to help sitemap writers,
- strong modularization to allow easy integration of new features or
languages,
- cleanly separate build-time classes from run-time classes, to allow
for optimized runtime classes and garbage collection of the build
environment.

The first two goals were of primary importance and are fully achieved :
on my PC, reloading the main sitemap takes less that 1 second, to be
compared with the 17 seconds taken by the current engine. And the
criptyc "the sitemap handler is not available" has disappeared :)

Still to do : some low-level optimizations, speed tests and write more
javadocs.

I'd be happy to hear your comments on this stuff.

Sylvain

--
Sylvain Wallez