cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Retuning Sitemap Design
Date Tue, 15 Jan 2002 09:54:59 GMT
giacomo wrote:

> > > Could you explain, what do you exactly mean with 'chuncked HTTP'?
> >
> > Go and RTFM :)
> >
> > No, seriously, take a look at
> >
> >  ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2616.txt
> >
> > and search for 'chunk'. You'll find that HTTP/1.1 has the ability to
> > 'chunk' (split) the response in several parts, each one with a header.
> >
> > This was designed exactly to allow servers to return error messages
> > *after* the original header has been sent. The problem is that the
> > Servlet API doesn't allow chunking by itself, so we must *reencode* the
> > chunks in the servlet output stream
> >
> > I just sent a question to my friends part of the Servlet Expert Group at
> > the JCP but as long as I was there, nobody touched the argument.
> >
> > Comments?
>
> Chunking should best happend transparently to a Servlet
> (as an option of the Servlet engine). Is there a need to state chunking
> programmatically?
>
> Unfortunately I don't know if Catalina/Tomcat (or any other Servlet
> engine) is supporting this transfer coding.

I've talked with Craig and Danny Coward (Servlet API lead) and they say
that while Catalina does transparently implements chunking for its
HTTP/1.1 connector, the servlet API states that the container *must*
ignore any setHeader() method called after the response has been sent to
the client.

I'm trying to convince them to change this in the next spec, but we are
stuck with this approach right now  :/ (i.e. no chunking)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.