cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <>
Subject Re: [RT]Cache/proxy friendly HTTP headers
Date Fri, 11 Jan 2002 19:08:00 GMT
Gianugo Rabellino wrote:
> Let's face it: we are slow.

I love this guy :)

> Not painfully slow, not even very slow:
> actually we are pretty fast for being a server-side Java application and
> we are such great programmers that we are as fast as the environment on
> which we are hosted can be fast :-)

I still don't think so. When I have time, I want to pass it thru a
JInsight or something and see where the cycles really go.
> Yet I'm afraid we are still slammed in the face by other technologies:
> static pages, Apache modules, PHP and so on. We have to change this
> somehow, and I think that there is a solution at least for what is more
> important to users: perceived performance.

> Now let's try to assemble them with two possible syntaxes:
> 1. different pipelines:
> <!-- This one expires one year from now -->
> <pipeline expires="1y">
>    <match pattern="static/**">
>      <read src="static-files/{1}"/>
>    </match>
> </pipeline>

> 2. more granular: defined at the "pipeline" level but overridable:
> <pipeline expires="6h">
>    <match pattern="static/**" expires="1y">
>      <read src="static-files/{1}"/>
>    </match>
>    <match pattern="catalog/**/*.html" expires="31jan2001">
>      <generate src="catalog/{1}/{2}.xsp"/>
>      <transform src="stylesheets/catalog.xsl" />
>      <serialize/>
>    </match>

> I would say that syntax #1 is more consistent with the actual setup, but
> feedback is really appreciated.

Yes, I like #1 most.

> Implementation should be pretty trivial: it would be just a matter of
> understanding the configuration and setting a couple of headers. Yet
> this would give us a tremendous performance boost, especially for
> self-contained webapps where we might put our resources and read them
> without worrying about performance issues: a reverse proxy will do all
> the dirty job for us.
> I eagerly wait for your feedback.

I like it and I agree that 'expiration time' is very different from
'caching behavior' and decoupling them is not necessarely a bad thing.

So, +1 for the above.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, email: