cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <>
Subject Re: XPath-enabled DirectoryGenerator
Date Fri, 11 Jan 2002 16:45:12 GMT
(sorry for this late reply: my MX host changed its IP so I had huge
email problems lately).

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

>>with an XPath-enabled DirectoryGenerator wich uses the X-pointerish
>>syntax already implemented in the XMLDB stuff.
> Way cool, I badly needed this for Forrest :)

Great, hope it will help you. :-)

>>1. XPathProcessor has been migrated to Avalon (release, not scratchpad)
>>and AFAIK the Avalon version is the only one that will be maintained in
>>the future, so I have used
>>org.apache.avalon.excalibur.xml.xpath.XPathProcessor in my code;
>>cocoon.roles, however, still points to the Cocoon implementation so, if
>>committed, my code would not work unless we change cocoon.roles too. I
>>think that this shouldn't bring any problem.
> I'm really agnostic to this. I fully trust Carsten's judgement.

I'll wait until tomorrow then I'll commit a first version using the
cocoon XPath interface.

> Should we start shipping XIndice with Cocoon? (I know Cocoon is already
> big enough, but by making it easier to people to assemble things is the
> way to go... at least until we have an apt-get-like thing for java.
> still would like avalon to provide that... but it will take some time to
> get people to agree on it :(

I don't know... the required jars sum up to 2.5MB, it's quite a high
load as of now, yet I see from the user list (both Cocoon and XIndice)
that there is a growing interest in making the two work together.
Besides, XIndice has a quirk today: the openorb jars must be installed
in $CATALINA_HOME/common/lib.

I was starting to play with Kimbro's file system based RI: if I can make
it work we will have a sample XML:DB running right inside of the dist
like HSQLDB does at the price of a few KB. How about it?

 >>3. It might be the case to add this feature not as another generator but

>>as an option to DirectoryGenerator itself (and, why not to FileGenerator
> I'm sure users will drive the evolution of it.
> And count me as a user in this case :)

Gosh. Got to pull out the absbestos underwear then ;-P

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, email:

View raw message