cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: wap serializer name change?
Date Thu, 10 Jan 2002 20:55:32 GMT
Chris Newland wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Very low priority, but shouldn't the name for the WML serializer be 'wml' and
> not 'wap'?
>
>    <map:serializer name="wap"    mime-type="text/vnd.wap.wml"
> src="org.apache.cocoon.serialization.XMLSerializer">
>     <doctype-public>-//WAPFORUM//DTD WML 1.1//EN</doctype-public>
>     <doctype-system>http://www.wapforum.org/DTD/wml_1.1.xml</doctype-system>
>     <encoding>ASCII</encoding>
>     <omit-xml-declaration>yes</omit-xml-declaration>
>    </map:serializer>
>
> Each of the other serializers is named after the content type it produces
> (HTML, VRML, XML ...), but WAP (wireless access protocol) is a transport and
> not a content type?
>
> E.g. WAP is to WML what HTTP is to HTML.
>
> I can submit a 2 byte patch if you like ;)

You are right. I wrote this when almost nobody knew what WML was but WAP
was starting to appear. Today is common knowledge for anybody that
worked with it.

Anyway, it's back incompatible. So I'd suggest having *both*, deprecate
it and remove it on Cocoon 2.1 or later.

What do you guys think? anyway, is this really necessary?

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.