cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <>
Subject Re: Allowed Sitemap Constructs
Date Tue, 08 Jan 2002 21:42:59 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> > Gosh, if this is your vision, we have a problem.
> No, that's not my vision: that's the reality we live in.
> 1. Quoting Carsten:
>  - the sitemap is processed top-down, the processing stops:
>    * when a serialize is reached
>    * when a reader is reached
>    * when the end is reached
> It exactly means that this last <act> will be executed when mentioned
> conditions are met.

I'm not questioning reality, I'm questioning design.

> My vision was that map:pipeline *must* have at least one generator and
> serializer (or reader, or mount), and any number of transformers. And
> map:match is one of the tools allowing to choose them depending on the
> environment.
> Here is an example to clarify this...
> <map:match>
>   <map:generate>
>   <map:transform>
>   <map:serialize>
> </map:match>
> This *is* legal. Now, is this leagal or not:
> Root:
>   <map:match>
>     <map:mount>
>   </map:match>
> Sub:
>   <map:generate>
>   <map:transform>
>   <map:serialize>
> It is semantically identical, but broken on two physical pieces. If you
> merge these two physical pieces into one entity, it would not differ
> from
> previous example. Tell me why this second example is wrong and not
> legal.

The 'mount' semantic where designed to mount 'sub-sitemaps' not

This because we thought that 'sitemaps' should be modularized, not

Whether this is a good design choice or not, it's up to discussion. No
problem with that.

In fact, in the following email I will start this discussion myself.

> > At the same time, I see your point: the post-action can be executed if
> > no matcher is entered... and we can't forbid this to happen unless we
> > force the creation of a new semantic like 'default-match', which I
> > think, sucks.
> >
> > So, yeah, I was wrong, there is a possibility when these post-actions
> > are reachable, but only when no matchers are found, the other example
> > you provide should not be possible.
> Ok. Now let's hear your opinion why other example is not possible ;)

Reading both Berin's and your comment, I started thinking that some of
my original design ideas might be too limiting and not really necessary.

See my next email on the subject.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, email: