cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ovidiu Predescu <>
Subject Re: [UPDATE] Scheme/Cocoon progress - initial benchmarks show good speed!
Date Tue, 22 Jan 2002 19:34:45 GMT
On Tue, 22 Jan 2002 10:47:41 +0200, Antti Koivunen <> wrote:

> Are there any technical reasons to be tied to a specific syntax (apart
> from optimization issues)? AIU, if the semantics are clear, it should be
> possible to define the necessary abstractions to allow the use of
> different syntaxes. IMO, one obvious implementation would BSF, as it's
> already included in the Cocoon distribution and would provide "of the
> shelf" support for JavaScript (Rhino) and Python (Jython), among others.
> It makes sense to limit the flexibility to some extent, but I don't see
> the choice of syntax as a major issue, as long as the context objects
> and interactions are well defined, and everything's properly documented.
> IMO, it would be a advantage to support popular scripting languages.

The key technical issue is a language that support continuations. None
of the languages above supports it. To read more about what
continuations are and how they can help in building Web applications
check-out the following papers:

In case you need some quick introduction to Scheme, here's an online

Here's a longer, more complete document (is actually a printed book):

The relevant threads on the Cocoon-dev on how continuations can be
used in the scope of Cocoon are here:

It's a lot of reading, so you may want to look at a complex sample of
how one would write a Web app using a language with continuations:

Hope this helps,
Ovidiu Predescu <> (inside HP's firewall only) (my SourceForge page) (GNU, Emacs, other stuff)

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, email:

View raw message