cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Koberg" <...@koberg.com>
Subject Re: staging/promotion
Date Mon, 21 Jan 2002 13:14:51 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Stefano Mazzocchi" <stefano@apache.org>

> Robert Koberg wrote:
> >
> > Should the publishing system or the content management system handle
site
> > promotions (dev, qa, live)?
>
> what do you exactly mean by 'promotions'? Please, elaborate further.

By 'site promotions' I mean the process a site goes through to get from an
idea to being live on the internet, blessed and ready to be used.

A site lives in different 'stages' along the way.  One stage is development
were things needs to be fluid and changing. Next (in my setup) a site can be
promoted to quality assurance and after that has been completed (and bugs
have been fixed back on the deve iste, promoted to QA and qa'ed again) the
site is promoted to live status. Live and QA will only differ in the power
of the machine being used to serve.

We usually create a virtual host for each stage so you get something like:

dev.cocoon.com
qa.cocoon.com
www.cocoon.com

I have been going back and forth in my head with where this type of thing
belongs; in the publishing sys or the cms. Currently (simply because of the
words used) it sounds to me that it should be in the publ sys.  You are not
really managing content when you stage/promote a site.  You are publishing
for your intrenal/external needs. Or maybe it should be in the cms - I was
hoping to get an idea where others thought it should go.

best,
-Rob