cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <>
Subject Re: [vote] POI commiters (was: RE: [vote] Accepting donated POI serializers/generators)
Date Fri, 11 Jan 2002 10:50:51 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gianugo Rabellino" <>
To: <>
Sent: Friday, January 11, 2002 11:35 AM
Subject: Re: [vote] POI commiters (was: RE: [vote] Accepting donated POI

> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> >>Don't get me wrong, I'm really happy about POI being part of the game,
> >>but I'd like to have a good reason for having tons of daily patches
> >>coming in, or as far as I'm concerned they will be confined to
> >>scratchpad for a long time. :-)
> >
> > IMHO think it's unfair, given the importance of the project.
> > POI is in 1.0 version, I don't think you will want it in scratchpad for
> > long, as many users will be asking continuously how to install it.
> > My 2cents, of course ;-)
> This (IMNSHO ;)) is perfectly fair to users. I agree and wish that many
> people will be using it, yet if the thing is going through such a
> massive bugfixing as the one you are outlining:
>  > The fact is that bugfixes are very very frequent, 'cause we're
>  > dealing with an undocumented (badly anyway) file format and
>  > many M$ product versions.
> this makes me wonder why POI is labeled as 1.0 if there is such a huge
> amount of needed patches going on...

By "needed", what do you mean?
The fact is that real-life scenarios are so varied that there are many
"special" cases that can come up. Ever tried using M$ product versions with
differrent M$ oses? ;-)

>  in second place this might lead to
> undesired countereffects, with users having to resort to CVS updates to
> get a working Cocoon+POI setup.

? This is riduculous. ;-) *Any* user that has a particular bug that gets
fixed resorts to the CVS version.
This happens with any component. What makes POI special in this regard?

> In other words: are we targeting users
> (which means stable tree + included jars) or developers/hackers?

You are jumping to conclusions.
We are targetting USERS. Who use ;-) the code and need bugfixes. The fact
that they can be frequent doesn't mean it's not stable. It can also mean
that bugs are reported more.

> If we
> go for the second than people that can use CVS can also live with a
> scratchpad component.

> Again, I don't want to be harsh

Doesn't seem ;-)

> and I want you to understand that I'm
> all in POI's side. It's just that every reply that you give worries me
> even more :)

Just don't jump to conclusion.
POI works and many users use it.
Contracts are defined and will be kept.
Advanced-dev portions like the DOC format stuff are going absolutely in

Makes sense.

Nicola Ken Barozzi

These are the days of miracle and wonder...
 don't cry baby, don't cry...
                                                  Paul Simon

View raw message