cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Piroumian, Konstantin" <KPiroum...@flagship.ru>
Subject Re: ServletConfig.getRealPath
Date Wed, 23 Jan 2002 13:32:49 GMT

CocoonServlet.java.
> > It's
Overriding

> > > FYI, I use a version of the Cocoon servlet where I commented out all
the
> > > classloader stuff.
> > >
> > > Since it seems to be a common problem, what about moving all
classloader
> > > stuff from CocoonServlet to ParanoidCocoonServlet and tell people to
use
> > > that one if they have class loading problems, which seems to happen
less
> > > often as servlet engines mature ?
> >
> > So, what about having a clear CocoonServlet and specific servlets (if
> > needed) for different platforms: WebLogic, WebSphere, etc.?
> >
> > This will be the first and necessary step in removing all getRealPath()
> > stuff from Cocoon.
>
> Hmmm, that ends up *easily* as a nightmare of dead code floating around.
>
> My suggestion would be to try to fit all needs and create workarounds
> (inline!) for those environments that don't comply... having several
> servlets is *very* likely to create different in synch between them as
> we go.

Maybe it'll be better to have a base CocoonServlet that absolutely conforms
to the servlet specification (2.2 or 2.3) and other servlets, if needed,
that are derived from the CocoonServlet and override some methods to provide
some specific handling?

This approach is used in Jakarta Struts and makes its usage much easier -
you can use either the standart servlet or implement your own one and
inherit it from the standart to perform customized handling and setup.

Regards,
    Konstantin Piroumian