cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: VOTE: Restructuring FAQ file
Date Wed, 16 Jan 2002 08:12:09 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>David Crossley wrote:
>> I am trying to resurrect this important thread from late
>> last year (it was around Xmas and there were no replies).
>>
>> Does anybody know the answer to the mystery of why
>> the FAQ DTD lost some excellent functionality? See
>> discussion below. I propose that if nobody knows, then
>> we should resort to the FAQ document structure of C1.
>
>David,
>
>I'm currently cleaning up the v1.0 DTDs and making a v1.1 version to
>place in Forrest (we'll be probably be starting a full-blown xml.apache
>subproject soon).
>
>I'll be very happy to integrate any suggestion.

Your initial DTDs have been excellent. I look forward to
your next efforts.

At the moment the only issue is why the DTD for FAQ took
a retrograde step.

>As for the Documentation vs. Docbook DTD, I'd love to provide choice
>instead of wasting tons of emails to convince people why one DTD is
>better than another.

The Catalog Entity Resolver will allow us to easily manage
various versions of DTDs. If you need any help with configuring
the catalog, then please ask.

>DTDs are like OS or text editors: highly subjective to personal taste.
>
>At the same time, it's fairly easy to transform Documentation DTD into
>Docbook DTD

Yes, one of the obvious benefits of having valid documents
to start with.

>so I plan to do:
>
> light semantic markup -> full semantic markup -> presentation markup
>
>where
>
> light content DTD -> Documentation v1.1 (and friends)
> full content DTD -> Docbook (latest)
> presentation DTD -> XHTML, XSL:FO (rendered as PDF) and SVG (rendered
>as PNG)
>
>What do you think?

This sounds a good approach to me. However, i am
unclear as to which DTD the actual xdocs/*.xml will use
(i presume document-v11.dtd).
--David