cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: Cocoon Logo
Date Tue, 01 Jan 2002 13:01:23 GMT
Many thanks Stefano for taking the time to explain the
rationale behind a new logo. You have presented very
sound technical, usability, and design reasons. I am now
swayed towards the new logo.

The gist of my original email was to be sure that the Cocoon
logo portrays the wonderful product that it is. It needs to hint
at the metamorphic processes inside. For me, the new logo
does not yet do that. It is the "00 eyes" that ruin it for me,
giving it a cartoon appearance and adding no benefit.

How about retaining the dots inside each "O" - i think that they
do indicate that there is activity inside the cocoons. However,
they should be all right-handed (i.e. get rid of the eyes).
Then we could have another animated logo where those dots
(i.e. the chrysalids) started some shape-changing (perhaps as
an advanced SVG demo).

It sounds like a silly conversation now. However, i think
that it was good to work throught our reasons for the choice.

In English, the word "Cocoon" means a protective envelope
spun by various insects to serve as a covering while they
are in the chrysalis state. I think that the new logo needs to
capitalise on the imagery of that magical process.

All the best to everyone for 2002+
--David