cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Vadim Gritsenko" <>
Subject RE: [RT]Cache/proxy friendly HTTP headers
Date Mon, 14 Jan 2002 23:05:06 GMT
> From: Gianugo Rabellino []
> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> > Ok, yes, caching and expires a different things. You can set expires
> > without caching anything. So a NonCachingPipeline can also set an
> > date.
> >
> > The second thing you propose that - if a caching pipeline is used -
> > cache itself takes the expires date given in the sitemap to validate
> > the cached content, should be very easy to implement. I guess that
> > this would come to four lines java code. Sounds this easy enough? :)
> If you know where those lines are to be placed definitely it does. ;)
> I'm a bit puzzled in finding exactly what is the correct way to extend
> the sitemap syntax in order to allow for the "expires" definition:
> give it a deeper look in the next days.

*If* we are talking here about adding <map:parameter>s right after
<map:pipeline> (as it was proposed in one of the messages)...
First, you would need to extend implementation of pipelines with, say,
Parameterizable interface. Then, you need to pass parameters from the
sitemap to the pipeline. This could be done after line 660 in

This will work, but I'm not sure that this is the way to go...
I think it's better to have ability to define pipeline configuration
before actually using pipeline (somewhere under map:components),
including what type of pipeline to use - caching, non-caching,
profiling... I'm just not sure how to fit this with current sitemap

> This rises another intersting question though: if we are heading to
> different sitemap implementations (interpreted, compiled, scheme
> it might be tricky to get all versions in sync when a new semantic is
> added...

The idea is to add new semantic rarely ;)

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, email:

View raw message