cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <baro...@nicolaken.com>
Subject Resetting response in case of error
Date Wed, 16 Jan 2002 09:37:11 GMT
Since chunking is off-limits for now, I tried to investigate other means of
doing the same thing.

In Netscape-Mozilla, the solution is to send a multipart request, and it
works.
Attatched is the code I used for (succesfull) testing in mozilla.

In IE6 there is the possibility of using the HTML+TIME 2.0 capabilities.
An example for a slideshow is at
http://smw.internet.com/smil/tutor/htmltime2/iesmil2demo.html  .
For older IE browsers there's a similar capability.

Another possibility is using javascript to manipulate he DOM and delete
previous contents, or send a redirect and use a special URL to filter output
only to errors.

Another thing to consider is that we should not limit ourselves to http
(wap-gateway).

IMHO this is too much work without real gain. If a user sees a mixed error
on the page, the developer didn't do it right. If the developer sees it, it
may help him in debugging the error (see where the stream stopped).

I don't have a real need for this capability, but would be very happy to
hear real-life needs regarding this feature.
IMO, sending a redirect to a pipeline that filters the error messages is the
easiest way.

--
Nicola Ken Barozzi                 xml-cocoon@nicolaken.com

These are the days of miracle and wonder...
          ...so don't cry baby, don't cry...
                                                  Paul Simon