cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <>
Subject Re: Cocoon and Jetspeed portal
Date Tue, 15 Jan 2002 10:06:34 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Homeijer" <>
To: <>
Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2002 10:29 AM
Subject: Cocoon and Jetspeed portal

> Hi,
> For a portal prototype I am trying to describe how it should be built
> Cocoon. I have read about jetspeed and I tried to implement a portal page
> Cocoon. If i could use the portlet mechanism from jetspeed, this would
> really simplify building a portal with Cocoon.

Apart from any opinion on portlets, there is a JSR too that wants to
standardize portlets, headed IIRC by IBM.

> I can see two ways of achieving this:
> - Access cocoon from jetspeed.

I haven't seen jetspeed recently, but it's how jetspeed usees/d cocoon.

> - Build portal actions, portal layout stylesheet, portlet logic sheets and
> portlet configuration layout in Cocoon. This would be a lot more work and
> the overlap with jetspeed would probably be very big. I cannot see if
> jetspeed is "componentized" enough to use these components in Cocoon.

This is very interesting. As for layout, you can see that cocoon examples
mimic a dashboard, a personal portal.
IMHO porlets are conceptually a Reader; cocoon pipelines are more flexible,
but it could be a great idea to be able to use ready-made portlets in
What is really missing in Cocoon, IMHO, is user handling. This is what is
really needed.
Authentication, authorization and preferences.
There was a suggestion back then to make it possible to use Turbine (IIRC
it's what jetspeed uses) in Cocoon too.

Nicola Ken Barozzi

These are the days of miracle and wonder...
 don't cry baby, don't cry...
                                                  Paul Simon

View raw message