cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Vadim Gritsenko" <vadim.gritse...@verizon.net>
Subject RE: wap serializer name change?
Date Thu, 10 Jan 2002 21:54:53 GMT

<doctype-system>http://www.wapforum.org/DTD/wml_1.1.xml</doctype-system>
> >     <encoding>ASCII</encoding>
> >     <omit-xml-declaration>yes</omit-xml-declaration>
> >    </map:serializer>
> >
> > Each of the other serializers is named after the content type it
produces
> > (HTML, VRML, XML ...), but WAP (wireless access protocol) is a
transport and
> > not a content type?
> >
> > E.g. WAP is to WML what HTTP is to HTML.
> >
> > I can submit a 2 byte patch if you like ;)
>
> You are right. I wrote this when almost nobody knew what WML was but
WAP
> was starting to appear. Today is common knowledge for anybody that
> worked with it.
>
> Anyway, it's back incompatible. So I'd suggest having *both*,
deprecate
> it and remove it on Cocoon 2.1 or later.

Not exactly... "wap" is just a name of component in the sample
sitemap.xmap. If you change this, you introduce backward
incompatibilities with _previous versions of the samples_, not with
cocoon itself - all applications would work as before.

> What do you guys think? anyway, is this really necessary?

I would just rename it and make a note in changes.xml

Vadim