cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <baro...@nicolaken.com>
Subject Cocoon for docs generation
Date Mon, 28 Jan 2002 18:40:03 GMT
Cocoon in docs build is slow. :-(
On the same documentation set
(PIII 1Ghz, 512 Mb, W$2000SP1, Jdk Sun 1.3.1_01):

Anakia: 4 sec
Cocoon of two weeks ago: 50 sec
Cocoon of two weeks ago precompiled sitemap: 16 sec
Cocoon HEAD: 45 sec
Cocoon HEAD with cocoon.xconf tweaks: 38sec
Cocoon HEAD precompiled sitemap: 18 sec
Cocoon HEAD+TreeProcessor: 2 sec (only index.html compiled)

I'm struggling to keep other developers on the project use Cocoon, but it's
dead hard, and I can't blame them.
It seems that link crawling and setup times are the main culprit.
In what direction should I go to get faster performance?

Also, do you think that docs generation can be a good performance
measurement of Cocoon speed?
I would like to make the docs generation a Cocoon speed index: SpeCoon,
using my machine as a reference. ;-)
It would be nice if Gump ran the docs generation nightly (does it?) and
logged how much it took.
We could see daily how performance was better or worse.

Comments?

--
Nicola Ken Barozzi                 xml-cocoon@nicolaken.com
These are the days of miracle and wonder...