cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Vadim Gritsenko" <vadim.gritse...@verizon.net>
Subject RE: Allowed Sitemap Constructs
Date Mon, 07 Jan 2002 18:31:29 GMT
> From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:barozzi@nicolaken.com]
>
> From: "Vadim Gritsenko" <vadim.gritsenko@verizon.net>
>
> > There is couple of differences between matchers and selectors:
> > 1. Matchers do return map to the sitemap, selectors - don't.
> >    You can't emulate matchers using selector.
>
> What is the real need of inhibiting a selector to return a map?

Don't know - I'm not an author of original concept... Guess
Stefano could clear up this thing for us :)

> > 2. Selectors have <otherwise>, matchers - don't.
> >    And you can't emulate selector's <otherwise> using matchers.
>
> IMHO a last match with "**" has the same use of map:otherwise.

No, not exactly. Example snippet:

<map:select>
  <map:when>
    <map:generate/>
  </map:when>
  <map:when>
    <map:generate/>
  </map:when>
  <map:otherwise>
    <map:generate/>
  </map:otherwise>
</map:select>
<map:serialize/>

Try to convert to matchers - you will fail :)

> Also, taken from
> http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/userdocs/concepts/matchers_selectors.html
> "Obviously, this could have been done with matchers as well. Decide on
> yourself, what appears clearer to you in a specific situation."

I do not see how example from this page could be restated in matchers.

Vadim