cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From giacomo <giac...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Managing Flow and Resources
Date Tue, 11 Dec 2001 21:26:21 GMT
On Tue, 11 Dec 2001, Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
> > Berin Loritsch wrote:
> >
> >>However, this does bring up a valid point about the
> >>pipelines as they stand:
> >>
> >>It would be great to have valid pipelines that do not specify
> >>the source document in the generator.  In other words, the valid
> >>pipeline would say use a "FileGenerator" through an "XSLTTransformer"
> >>with stylesheet X through an "HTMLSerializer".
> >>
> >>Notice that the "FileGenerator" does not have a source property.
> >>
> >>In the concept outlined here, we specify the source or page in
> >>the <send-response/> tag.  This is an important distinction so that
> >>we can have re-usable pipelines.
> >>

> > I do like this concept of having 'reusable pipelines' and I think it
> > could also be made back-compatible with the existing sitemap.
> >
> > How were you thinking of adding this sematic to the sitemap?
>

> When I origionaly proposed it, I had a separate file that declared
> the pipelines by name.  I was proposing a separation of concerns for
> the sitemap.
>
> I.e., break the Component declarations out and merge it into Cocoon.xconf
> allowing for central management of allowable sitemap components.  Also,
> explicitly declare the finite amount of pipelines in a pipelines.xconf
> file to describe the named pipelines.  Lastly, the Sitemap and Flowmap
> ideas were reduced to the actual matching of source to named pipeline.

I personally like this approach best. cocoon.xconf also defines a finite
set of components (including the sitemap ones) which is IMO good for
security (you still have XSP to mess up you system).

A separate pipeline.xconf forces SoC. Sure we have to allow Selectors in
it to select transformers for different user agents for example.

Giacomo