cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Torsten Curdt <tcu...@dff.st>
Subject RE: [VOTE] upgrading to LogEnabled
Date Thu, 20 Dec 2001 12:56:34 GMT
On Thu, 20 Dec 2001, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Torsten Curdt wrote:
> >
> > So.... should we upgrade cocoon to LogEnabled?
> >
> > a) only HEAD
> > b) HEAD and 2.0
> >
> I think we should forget the 2.0 branch as soon as possible, so
> changing a) is sufficient.

That's what I thought, too

> Before we vote on it, can you identify what really has to be
> changed?
> From my memory there is at least this:
>
> a) All components must extend AbstractLogEnabled instead
> of AbstractLoggable.
> To be precise, this changes the interface
> of each component! As both solutions provide a getLogger() method
> which points to objects with similar interfaces this is not
> really a problem unless someone relies on this interface.

Exactly. This should not be a problem. If someone relies on this
specific interface. Please speak up!

> b) There are other place where classes are tested against Loggable,
> these can not be changed that easy as someone might have developed own
> components which are either Loggable or LogEnabled.
> So at these places we have to support both! And that might be a
> problem as you need there both loggers.

Hm... yes - this might cause some trouble and forces people to
switch over to LogEnabled.

Anyone with components out there implementing Loggable
and who is not willing to modify them to LogEnabled?
(should be a simple search and replace!)

> There might be other places as well.
>
> If noone sees a problem in a) and b) can be solved and there are
> no other interface changes required, I'm +1 on this.

There are no other interface changes related to this.
--

Torsten