cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Scott Lamb <sl...@slamb.org>
Subject Documentation complaints
Date Fri, 21 Dec 2001 06:07:54 GMT
I have a few minor complaints & suggestions about the installation
documentation, specifically concerning the X11/headless AWT problem.

(Sorry if this is in the wrong place. Wasn't sure if I should post this to
here or cocoon-users)

Apparently, AWT is only needed by batik. This page
<http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/installing/jars.html> says that batik is not
required by core cocoon. I took that to mean I could just download and
deploy cocoon.war file without worrying about AWT. But apparently batik is
needed to compile the sitemap now? (That's what the error lead me to
believe.) Is this webpage out of date? Maybe I could have gotten Cocoon to
work without batik by taking it out of the WEB-INF/lib dir and/or changing
the sitemap.xmap but Cocoon definitely wanted it by default.

This page <http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/faq.html#faq-24> says that an X11
server is required to make AWT/batik happy, but another page
<http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/installing/index.html> suggests just
replacing Java's AWT with PJA. JDK 1.4 beta's AWT also doesn't require an
X11 server, though apparently you need to recompile bits of Cocoon to use
it. I think these should be on the FAQ page, since Xvfb seems much more
awkward than having a true headless AWT.

Also, I don't think the installation guide's PJA directions are quite
right. I followed PJA's instructions and ended up with something more like
this:

  $ export CATALINA_OPTS="$CATALINA_OPTS \
      -Xbootclasspath/a:$JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ext/pja.jar \
      -Dawt.toolkit=com.eteks.awt.PJAToolkit \
      -Djava.awt.graphicsenv=com.eteks.java2d.PJAGraphicsEnvironment \
      -Djava2d.font.usePlatformFont=false \
      -Djava.awt.fonts=$JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/fonts/"

which is a bit different. It didn't work for me without the
-Xbootclasspath, no matter where I put the jar. And the PJA docs were
pretty specific about that; they said that adding it to $CLASSPATH wasn't
enough. Maybe these instructions should be changed or (especially if PJA's
installation procedure changes a lot) just replaced by links to PJA's
install instructions.

Thanks,
Scott Lamb