cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Steven Noels" <>
Subject RE: [Summary] Dreams, RTs and getting the stuff done
Date Wed, 05 Dec 2001 20:33:44 GMT

here's 'somebody' - perhaps we should mention that it started off with severe mutual
misunderstandings & subsequent impoliteness ;-)

> Stream of Thought #2: The perfect KMS
> -------------------------------------
> KMS stands for "knowledge management system". It's a marketing buzzword
> that indicates systems (mostly targetted for intranet use) that are
> capable of managing and making available 'corporate knowledge', the
> company information, in such a way that it's easily created, easily
> published and easily accessible.
> A typical KMS is composed of:
>  1) a front-end
>  2) a back-end
>  3) a content-editing system
>  4) a search engine
>  5) an administration toolkit
> the idea is to come up with solid and open software solutions that
> implement all the above key pieces, then sell the service to glue them
> together for customer needs.
> The map between those pieces and existing software is *far* from being
> accomplished but we are heading in the right direction.

To conclude our private conversation: a KMS should *at least* be able to facilitate &
support the cycle you mention above:

  +->  research ----> develop ---> produce ----> use --+
  |                                                    |
  +---------------------- report ----------------------+

and as such is likely to have some overlaps with the dream
mentioned earlier on this list. KM in my perspective is something which can be
supported by such technology, but is not a technology by its own.

By massaging & managing the many carefully crafted but sometimes hard to digest RT's
into such KM-supporting technology, more people will be able to collaborate better on
big, beautiful but complicated projects such as cocoon.

Jummy... fun times ahead!

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, email:

View raw message