cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Gerhard Froehlich" <>
Subject Excalibur ActiveMonitor
Date Sun, 02 Dec 2001 13:06:03 GMT
I think we need to implement the ActiveMonitor
in the Cocoon Project, to increase the performance
of Cocoon.
(I place the mail here in the Cocoon list,
because it's a Cocoon related topic. But if it's the
wrong place, I have no problem to move this thread
into Avalon dev list.)

Berin suggested in the mail:
that instead of calling ${file}.lastModified() we asking the
Excalibur ActiveMonitor if the resource has changed or not.
"Each resource in the collection of resources is tested on a
frequency you specify (i.e. 1/minute, 1/half-hour, etc).
That way during extreme load conditions the number of times we
call the "lastModified" method doesn't change. Instead of 1/request
(with 200 simultaneous users requesting 4 pages a second
that comes to 800 calls a second) it is once per period of time."

I can't implement this ActiveMonitor from scratch, because
I have less knowledge of Cocoon internals (was alway in the
backend ;). So:
Where is the right place to implement this ActiveMonitor and
how would you proceed?

black holes are when GOD is dividing by zero
23 49 43 51 3A 20 31 32 33 35 33 34 38 31 31

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, email:

View raw message