cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@s-und-n.de>
Subject RE: [VOTE] upgrading to LogEnabled
Date Thu, 20 Dec 2001 13:08:30 GMT
Torsten Curdt wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Dec 2001, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
> > Torsten Curdt wrote:
> > >
> > > So.... should we upgrade cocoon to LogEnabled?
> > >
> > > a) only HEAD
> > > b) HEAD and 2.0
> > >
> > I think we should forget the 2.0 branch as soon as possible, so
> > changing a) is sufficient.
>
> That's what I thought, too
>
> > Before we vote on it, can you identify what really has to be
> > changed?
> > From my memory there is at least this:
> >
> > a) All components must extend AbstractLogEnabled instead
> > of AbstractLoggable.
> > To be precise, this changes the interface
> > of each component! As both solutions provide a getLogger() method
> > which points to objects with similar interfaces this is not
> > really a problem unless someone relies on this interface.
>
> Exactly. This should not be a problem. If someone relies on this
> specific interface. Please speak up!
>
> > b) There are other place where classes are tested against Loggable,
> > these can not be changed that easy as someone might have developed own
> > components which are either Loggable or LogEnabled.
> > So at these places we have to support both! And that might be a
> > problem as you need there both loggers.
>
> Hm... yes - this might cause some trouble and forces people to
> switch over to LogEnabled.
>
> Anyone with components out there implementing Loggable
> and who is not willing to modify them to LogEnabled?
> (should be a simple search and replace!)

After a little bit thinking of this problem, I think we should avoid all
places where we take over the Avalon lifecycle handling, which means
at some places we instantiate objects which implement Avalon interfaces
by hand and then initialize them in the same order Avalon would do it.
If we get rid off these situations, we void also solve the above
problem. AFAIK there are two places, the first one creating new sitemap
objects and the other one in the url and source handlers. The letter
will be solved as soon as we switch to the new url and source handlers
of avalon.

Carsten