cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@s-und-n.de>
Subject [RT]: When to log exceptions
Date Wed, 19 Dec 2001 15:29:50 GMT
Hi,

I would like to know, if we should define a policy for logging exceptions.
Currently, sometimes exceptions are logged when they are raised, sometimes
when they are catched and sometimes they aren't logged at all.

This leads to the problem, that you get the same exception more than once
in the log or you never see it (ok, the first alternative is of course the
better one );).

Now, if we stick to a simple rule, we could easily have all exceptions in
the log and these only once which would make reading the log files a little
bit easier. So, there are two alternatives:
a) always log an exception when it's raised but not when it's catched
b) always log an exception when it's catched but not when it's raised

I'm +1 on b).

Opinions?

Carsten