cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Tom Klaasen (TeleRelay)" <tr-tklaa...@telerelay.com>
Subject RE: [RT] Managing Flow and Resources
Date Wed, 12 Dec 2001 10:00:46 GMT

Let's add some more languages to Cocoon, so that nobody knows all
languages anymore, and developing on Cocoon _requires_ teams of 3 or 4
people. And let's then try to roll Cocoon in into a company.
Not that I have something against Scheme in itself. But that was another
thread, I thought.

> Semantical validation isn't something which is supported very
> well in XML,
> Schematron being a (difficult) exception.
>
> > Of course, the very intelligent programmers who are
> developing this from
> > the start, will be able to enforce the SOC for themselves,
> but newcomers
> > who learn by trial-and-error (as we all do) will have serious
> > difficulties to grasp it, even if they want to. Me too (is this
> > English?) had serious difficulties to grasp the SOC in
> Struts eg, and I
> > even thought there wasn't one for quite a while. But then
> again, maybe
> > that says more about my capabilities than anything ;-)
> Anyway, Struts is
> > also based mainly on java-code, and genericity and SOC is
> very hard to
> > achieve.
>
> I agree with Tom that SoC enforcement should be done
> programmatically and not
> by documenting best practices or hoping that developers will stick to
> guidelines.

Nice summary.

> > If you're into Cocoon, you don't like GUI development (except maybe
> > Bruno Dumon ;-)). It is a whole different world. So the
> chances are slim
> > there will stand up anybody to make a GUI.
>
> If we want to force flowmap-designers to stay away from the
> SoC-alarmzone, a
> visual tool that generates Soc-compliant code is much better
> than the ultimate
> freedom of a textfile with ECMAScript, Scheme or XML
> markup... using such a
> GUI would force you to design the flow and gives you little
> opportunity to
> mess with the syntax of the flowmap

I agree that having a decent GUI would facilitate things a lot. But I'm
only suspicious as who is going to develop such a GUI. I've seen things
happening on ant-dev eg, where they were going to develop a GUI, and it
didn't go smooth to say the least.

> thinking about it... what about UML...? considering a flowmap
> to be something
> like an activity diagram?

State diagrams should do the trick. This reminds me of the proposal of
Diana (was it?) some weeks ago. She was working on a flowmap-like thing,
and had it almost right imho, but was struggling with the syntax. I was
hoping to hear more of her, but she seems to have disappeared?
Anyway, UML: still have to find a decent 'free' UML tool. Nobody's going
to use C2 if they have to pay $$$ for Rose or TogetherJ, just to be able
to draw state diagrams. Not a very academic approach to the problem
though ;)

> Regards,
>
> Steven Noels
> http://outerthought.org/
> (+32)478 292900
>
> ps: (Tom) this flowmap-approach reminds me of the idea of sticking a
> rules-based engine inside Maven as a central switching board

Me not, to be honest :P I saw the switching board was more like the
sitemap... but that's stuff for a private conversation, since our
ex-collagues have already taken out too much dirty laundry ;)

tomK