cocoon-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject [vote] Finer-grained logging categories (was: Re: Over-Logging)
Date Fri, 28 Dec 2001 18:15:20 GMT


giacomo a écrit :
> 
> On Fri, 28 Dec 2001, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> 
> >
> > Torsten Curdt a écrit :
> > >
> > > > Now that I am back working with Cocoon, I have recently come to the conclusion
that DEBUG
> > > > simply outputs too much information.  For one (1) request, Cocoon outputs
23 pages of
> > > > log messages equivalent to 57k on the drive.
> > > >
> > > > My friends, this is too much.  Logging should have a purpose, and not
simply spout information
> > > > for information's sake.  I am trying to track down what is going on in
the XSP engine,
> > > > and I have to sift through 57k of messages.
> > >
> > > I like to second that
> > >
> > > > Principal of Diminishing Returns
> > > > --------------------------------
> > > > It is important to understand the principal of diminishing returns.  Basically,
it boils
> > > > down to the concept that 90% correctness only takes 10% of the effort.
 It is that last
> > > > 10% of correctness that takes up the remaining 90% of the effort.  Our
logging has reached
> > > > critical mass.  By logging anything and everything, we have an unusable
mess.
> > > >
> > > > I am not sure what needs to be done.  Some categories need to be logged,
while others
> > > > do not.  It all depends on what you are tracking down.  We need to have
more folks
> > > > understand the LogKit configuration file, so that we can have a much finer
grained
> > > > control.  Since it is a major point of Cocoon's configuration Cocoon needs
to document
> > > > it in the xdocs.  The inline comments are not very clean, perhaps we need
separators
> > > > that demarcate the beginning and ends of the comments.
> >
> > What do you mean by "separators that demarcate..." ? A special formatter
> > that adds linefeeds in the log file ?
> >
> > We may also remove some debug messages : many of them were used to debug
> > components during their writing, and they aren't useful anymore now that
> > they are stable.
> >
> > > So you like to get rid of this mess by configuring logkit?
> > >
> > > Actually I'm wondering if we have enough categories
> > > to really get back to a fine grained control this way.
> >
> > We can add more categories : in my sitemaps, each component has a
> > different category (using the "logger" attribute) :
> >
> > sitemap.generator.file
> > sitemap.generator.directory
> > sitemap.generator.serverpages
> > sitemap.transformer.xslt
> > sitemap.transformer.log
> > sitemap.serializer.xml
> > sitemap.serializer.html
> > sitemap.matcher.wildcard
> > ...
> 
> This is what it was originally proposed to be used for. I wasn't willing
> to go this far for the version we distribute with the CVS and releases
> but we can vote to have this in CVS.
>
> > This leads to a fine-grained hierarchical classification of categories
> > which allows to easily track messages in a particular area. This is also
> > applicable to components in cocoon.xconf.

OK. TEAM, your votes about adding fine-grained categories in
sitemap.xmap and cocoon.xconf as described above ?

+1 from me.

> 
> Do you log those messages  into one file or different file (prob. one
> per category?)

I use two targets : one file for all messages, and a target I've written
for a commercial swing GUI (see
http://www.servidium.com/site/logfactor5/index.html) which has a nice
handling of log hierarchies.

Fine-grained categories allows to quickly find messages output by a
particular component and having a single file allows to easily consult
other related logs (e.g. all log messages for a given request).

> > If you like this approach, I can add it in the CVS.
> 
> I'm not sure about it so +0.
>
> > The only drawback is that LogKit complains about categories not
> > explicitly declared in logkit.xconf. Maybe LogKit shouldn't be so picky
> > about that and just act as a configuration front-end to Hierarchy (i.e.
> > remove the m_loggers HashMap).
> 
> This can be fixed (I wrote it) but IIRC it's a debugging (or should
> be) message and thus might be helpfull in that aspect.

I would be thankful if you fix it, because it produces a _warning_
message each time a component asks for a logger that's not in the
configuration-defined categories.

> Giacomo
> 
> >
> > Thoughts ?
> >
> > Sylvain.
> >
> > > --
> > > Torsten
> > >
> >
-- 
Sylvain Wallez
Anyware Technologies - http://www.anyware-tech.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: cocoon-dev-unsubscribe@xml.apache.org
For additional commands, email: cocoon-dev-help@xml.apache.org


Mime
View raw message