cocoon-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: Over-Logging
Date Fri, 28 Dec 2001 15:11:57 GMT

Torsten Curdt a écrit :
> 
> > Now that I am back working with Cocoon, I have recently come to the conclusion that
DEBUG
> > simply outputs too much information.  For one (1) request, Cocoon outputs 23 pages
of
> > log messages equivalent to 57k on the drive.
> >
> > My friends, this is too much.  Logging should have a purpose, and not simply spout
information
> > for information's sake.  I am trying to track down what is going on in the XSP engine,
> > and I have to sift through 57k of messages.
> 
> I like to second that
> 
> > Principal of Diminishing Returns
> > --------------------------------
> > It is important to understand the principal of diminishing returns.  Basically,
it boils
> > down to the concept that 90% correctness only takes 10% of the effort.  It is that
last
> > 10% of correctness that takes up the remaining 90% of the effort.  Our logging has
reached
> > critical mass.  By logging anything and everything, we have an unusable mess.
> >
> > I am not sure what needs to be done.  Some categories need to be logged, while others
> > do not.  It all depends on what you are tracking down.  We need to have more folks
> > understand the LogKit configuration file, so that we can have a much finer grained
> > control.  Since it is a major point of Cocoon's configuration Cocoon needs to document
> > it in the xdocs.  The inline comments are not very clean, perhaps we need separators
> > that demarcate the beginning and ends of the comments.

What do you mean by "separators that demarcate..." ? A special formatter
that adds linefeeds in the log file ?

We may also remove some debug messages : many of them were used to debug
components during their writing, and they aren't useful anymore now that
they are stable.

> So you like to get rid of this mess by configuring logkit?
> 
> Actually I'm wondering if we have enough categories
> to really get back to a fine grained control this way.

We can add more categories : in my sitemaps, each component has a
different category (using the "logger" attribute) :

sitemap.generator.file
sitemap.generator.directory
sitemap.generator.serverpages
sitemap.transformer.xslt
sitemap.transformer.log
sitemap.serializer.xml
sitemap.serializer.html
sitemap.matcher.wildcard
...

This leads to a fine-grained hierarchical classification of categories
which allows to easily track messages in a particular area. This is also
applicable to components in cocoon.xconf.

If you like this approach, I can add it in the CVS.

The only drawback is that LogKit complains about categories not
explicitly declared in logkit.xconf. Maybe LogKit shouldn't be so picky
about that and just act as a configuration front-end to Hierarchy (i.e.
remove the m_loggers HashMap).

Thoughts ?

Sylvain.

> --
> Torsten
> 
-- 
Sylvain Wallez
Anyware Technologies - http://www.anyware-tech.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: cocoon-dev-unsubscribe@xml.apache.org
For additional commands, email: cocoon-dev-help@xml.apache.org


Mime
View raw message