cocoon-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Over-Logging
Date Thu, 27 Dec 2001 21:55:21 GMT
Now that I am back working with Cocoon, I have recently come to the conclusion that DEBUG
simply outputs too much information.  For one (1) request, Cocoon outputs 23 pages of
log messages equivalent to 57k on the drive.

My friends, this is too much.  Logging should have a purpose, and not simply spout information
for information's sake.  I am trying to track down what is going on in the XSP engine,
and I have to sift through 57k of messages.

Principal of Diminishing Returns
--------------------------------
It is important to understand the principal of diminishing returns.  Basically, it boils
down to the concept that 90% correctness only takes 10% of the effort.  It is that last
10% of correctness that takes up the remaining 90% of the effort.  Our logging has reached
critical mass.  By logging anything and everything, we have an unusable mess.

I am not sure what needs to be done.  Some categories need to be logged, while others
do not.  It all depends on what you are tracking down.  We need to have more folks
understand the LogKit configuration file, so that we can have a much finer grained
control.  Since it is a major point of Cocoon's configuration Cocoon needs to document
it in the xdocs.  The inline comments are not very clean, perhaps we need separators
that demarcate the beginning and ends of the comments.

This is just my mini-rant.  Back to business now.

-- 

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: cocoon-dev-unsubscribe@xml.apache.org
For additional commands, email: cocoon-dev-help@xml.apache.org


Mime
View raw message