cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [vote] Removing namespace-prefixes feature on parsers
Date Fri, 21 Dec 2001 14:17:26 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> <snip/>

>>>It is already configurable in PooledJaxpParser that I wrote to reuse
>>>parsers instead of just factories.
>>>
>>>I've been using it here for several weeks without problems. So I
>>>
> propose
>
>>>to move PooledJaxpParser code to JaxpPaser and not set
>>>"namespace-prefixes" by default.
>>>

>>This would remove the PooledJaxpParser, right? (Or better deprecate?).
>>

> Do we need to deprecate components which are not part of any release?
>
> Or: Do we have backward compatibility between nightly builds? ;)

 From the Grand Poo-Bah himself:

;p  I couldn't resist :)

If the class has *ever* been released then it must be deprecated.  No
if, and, or buts about it.

Regarding Components that have never been released, you have to ask how
long it has been in the Cocoon heirarchy?  If it has been here for a
month, then I would deprecate it (like the DefaultComponentManager in
Excalibur).  You do have the freedom in this case to remove this
deprecated component *prior* to actually releasing the new Cocoon code.

The reason for this is simple:  someone may be working on a snapshot of
the Cocoon HEAD CVS repository.  In this case, it is simply remapping
a component in the Cocoon.xconf file.  However, when I wrote the deprecation
policy not only were components missing, but *functionality* was changed
to the point that the Component no longer worked as expected.  That is
the thing that we have to avoid at all costs!

> Vadim
>

>>+1
>>
>>Carsten
>>

> <snip/>