cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [OT] Design Rant
Date Fri, 21 Dec 2001 14:05:15 GMT
"Tom Klaasen (TeleRelay)" wrote:

> Hey, I'm not going to fight The System, I'm just giving my opinion.

I know, sorry about it, I was just showing my frustration developped
over years of fighting the 'technological establishment' of the original
Apache Group (great people, but sometimes a little stubborn).

> And for a clear understanding: I'm not fighting anybody, just giving my
> opinion. I understand that there are practicalities that always stand in
> the way of our dreams. But the least (and probably the only thing) I can
> do is shout at them... maybe they get scared away.

Good point :)

> Weird though, that we're facing so much "legacy" lately (we have to
> support NS4, we have to keep using jdk1.2, we have to use mod_whatever),
> and that for a framework that tries to give a solution to exactly these
> problems.

Hey, look: I repeat it: if it were for me, we'd have Cocoon serving
xml.apache.org since 1999 and we'd have a much more stable software
because we'd have to deal with our own scalability problems.

But there is good news: Covalent dedicated a machine for GUMP
(gump.covalent.net) that is a Solaris8 machine with 512Mb of RAM. Sam
Ruby is root on that machine.

I have an account on that machine now and I'll try to setup both a
static and dynamic Forrest system.

Then we'll decide what to do (and also, ask Covalent if they want to
handle 3 million hits/month from xml.apache.org)

> Maybe we'll have to run C2 on oracle.com or something, if it stands
> there ATM, we haven't to be afraid of security anymore ;-)
>
> "Entropy is just a fact of life" IIRC ... but it ain't pleasant.

No shit dude. But the right way to fight the system is to slowly destroy
their constrains one at a time and without them noticing until you're
done.

In fact, you guys can enjoy xml.apache.org also because of this attitude
of mine.

The hard part is the patience: it takes years or daily adjustements....
but that's the art of diplomacy, I think.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.