cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Adaptive Caching [was Re: initial checkin of the Scheme code]
Date Thu, 20 Dec 2001 23:47:54 GMT
Paulo Gaspar wrote:

> Notice that my focus is just cache efficiency. And, unlike what I have been
> able to transmit, I am interested on significant improvements.

Than we share the same concern :)

[skipped a good example of the need for a sampling key for resource
families]

I think I got you idea in full detail now and I agree it's a very good
suggestion.

The idea is to have the cacheable component logic create both the
caching key for the handled request *AND* a (possibly different)
sampling key.

So, for example, asking for the resource:

 cocoon://reviews/movies/harry-potter

might generate a caching key that hashes the entire URI, while might
generate a sampling key that hashes only the general part

 cocoon://review/movies/

thus, every request in this category will be collected in the same
statistical data pool, thus converge sooner and talking less memory.

It's a great idea and, yes, I totally missed it in my proposal.

There are some details to think about but I think it's a great addition
to my model. Thanks for sharing it with us. :)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.