cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [OT] Design Rant
Date Thu, 20 Dec 2001 16:38:50 GMT
"Tom Klaasen (TeleRelay)" wrote:

> Time to show the world what Cocoon is really worth!

Please, Tom, a little todo list for you:

Try asking root@apache.org about getting out of FreeBSD to run Java
decently.

Try asking them to install a servlet engine, a servlet that might need
several hundred megabytes of RAM and a native XML database all summing
up to more than a *million* of lines of code (apache is around 50000!)

Then report back to us. :)

Easy, you say: let's move xml.apache.org on another machine.

Good, try asking them about this.

It has been *YEARS* that we java-related members fight to have more
dynamic stuff on apache.org, but dynamism for them means .htaccess with
some mod_rewrite stuff and some content negotation.

Why this? several reasons, and some ego-related, but mainly: the less
dynamic stuff, the less security problems.

At the same time, the more machines, the less centralized the sys-admin
becomes for root@apache.org that has to delegate more and more.

If it was for me, we would have xml.apache.org hosted on Cocoon since
summer 1999, but believe me, it's much easier to write a portable HTML
than to have Cocoon installed on apache servers.

yes, I hope to change this in the future and this Forrest effort is the
first step in this direction, but it's the first step, not the last one.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.