cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [WARNING] Version migrations are a headache!
Date Thu, 13 Dec 2001 13:59:29 GMT
Tim Myers wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 01:09:14PM -0500, Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
>>DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!
>>*Any* time you add a new abstract method to an abstract class, or change
>>an abstract method on an abstract class--that change is NOT BACKWARDS
>>COMPATIBLE!
>>
>>I have some specialized actions that extend AbstractComplimentaryConfigurableAction
>>
> That would most likely be my fault... I wanted access to the environment passed in from
the sitemap to be accessible to the configure method.  a resolver (environment) needs to be
passed as the second arguement to AbstractComplimentaryConfigurableAction...  It was the solution
to what seems to be a longstanding problem of not being able to use configuration files relative
to subsitemaps.

Don't get me wrong, Tim.  I am not saying that the solution you came up with

was wrong.  I am merely saying that it would have been better, and more correct
to deprecate the old method before you implemented your new method.

That way, people who are migrating up are not rudely surprised.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin