cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [OT] Languages // estas Re: [RT] Managing Flow and Resources
Date Wed, 12 Dec 2001 13:52:00 GMT
MJ Ray wrote:

> >> Projects like Apache are pointed up as examples of meritocracy in action,
> >> but what is meritocratic about giving people an advantage based on their
> >> native tongue?
> >Sorry, I can't parse this (you know, native tongue impedence mismatch)
>
> I think this may be subtle humour, but just in case... Basically: why do I,
> as a native English speaker, get to participate in Apache more easily than,
> say, a native Spanish speaker?  If Spanish were my first language, I
> probably wouldn't be here.

Eh, don't tell me :) If it wasn't for my exchange student period in the
USA, I wouldn't probably be here myself.

Unfortunately, in order to communicate, we must have a common knowledge
context and using english reduces the energy required to have these
communities. This is a limit, I know this very well myself, but I can't
see any better solution. :(

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.