cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Dreams for a useful database
Date Mon, 03 Dec 2001 12:10:47 GMT
Punky Tse wrote:

> [...]

Bingo :)

> Stefano, and I have a dream for CMS tool as well - but may be too far away
> from your RT ;-)

Oh, please, share it with us :)

> On top of the CMS tool, we can build a data distribution server so that the
> content can be distributed to clients thru TCP or some networking protocols,
> and use XML and even propriatory protocol for data format.  It's just like
> what Reuters and Bloomburg does.  Clients can subscribe to the content
> category that they want through entitlement control, and the distribution
> server will send the content to client.  Hence, the publishing company will
> become a data information vendor, and does generate more revenue than just
> as a publishing company.

Why not! :)

My perception is that once a versioning/workflow/metadata-general XML DB
is in place with a wrapper that takes care of 'adapting' the queries to
the underlying system and you have Cocoon on top with enough
components/glue-code to connect to that, *any* implementation
possibility of how publishing is performed (what you explain is just
another form of publishing, IMO) gets up at the application level.

So, my goal is to come up with tools that allow us to empower our
solutions but let our clients tell us what they need :)

> On the client side, they would install a "feed handler" that connects to the
> distribution server.

Well, this "feed handler" is nothing but a timed HTTP request. You could
write an avalon component that does that and feeds your local system.

Or it could be a SOAP request.

> And behind the feed handler, there may be another CMS
> server so that the editor or content producer can edit, modify, and
> consolidate the content from various data vendor and generate new content.

Yes, but it's the same thing as publishing. It's the "information
consuming" process that is different, but it's another concern.

> Of course, the client can have another data distribution server installed,
> so that they can deliver the consolidated content to another client.

Yes, but this "feed" is nothing big to implement: you simply connect to
the server, get a XML back and store it into your local CMS.

> Sorry if I polluted your RT here, but this is also my dream of CMS tool.
> But this is just a part of the CMS tool I dreamed.

Oh, no pollution whatsoever, rather the opposite: our dreams seem to
converge on the same solutions. :) and this is a very good thing.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.