cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Dreams for a useful database
Date Sat, 01 Dec 2001 13:18:22 GMT
Sam Ruby wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> >
> > 1) it should be possible to see it as a single persistent tree of DOM
> nodes.
> >
> > 2) it should contain node-level version information and should provide
> > a tagging concept (here, think as a parallel between CVS files and these
> > DOM nodes).
>
> FS alarm bells are going off in my head.

I got the same impression at the end of my post... you know, my RT are
just that: random. :)

> I'll spare you the details of my
> background with versioned databases, but suffice it to say that IMHO the
> overhead will kill you.

I trust you.

> I'd recommend as some "light reading"
> http://www.microsoft.com/LEARNING_TOOLS/books/sampchap/5800.asp .  If you
> read their description of "blue" nodes you can immediately visualize the
> indexing that such an arrangement permits.
>
> Even this IMHO will result in a database only suitable for relatively
> coarse grained access.  Here, your analogy w/CVS is right on the mark.

will read and get back to you.

Anyway, what I dream of is an hybrid between a native XML DB (from the
query perspective) and a XML-aware CVS (from the versioning/workflow
perspective).

This is what we need for *serious* publishing solutions. [for "serious"
I mean: able to replace the software used by, say, the Washington Post
and CNN.com for their publishing needs. Even for paper and TV, not only
for web publishing]

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.