cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Myers <phan...@stserv.hcf.jhu.edu>
Subject Re: [OT] Design Rant
Date Thu, 20 Dec 2001 06:54:29 GMT

http://stserv.hcf.jhu.edu/~phantom/div2.html

Here's another one, and i think i discovered something important about css for
layout-- width as a percentage effectively can't be applied to the same element
as border, margin, or padding.  That's because width is the width of the
content... and if you do that in percentage,  adding a pixel here and a pixel
there on the edge goes over the alotment.  I wish the css width would equal
contentwidth+borderwidth+paddingwidth so that padding and border would cut in
on the content width rather than overflowing and making it impossible to
control the left and right side of a box simultaneously without nesting.  Alas
it is not so, i have read the spec--and the spec basically said "too bad."

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/visudet.html#propdef-width

So, my rant about the recent browsers was fairly off base (although 50% width
is still buggy in ie so 49.9 will have to do).  The browsers are doing what
they are supposed to.  to set padding/border within a percentage widthed box,
the padding must be set on a box nested inside the percentage widthed box.
Make sense?

Tim