cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Marcus Crafter <craft...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>
Subject Re: [RT]: When to log exceptions
Date Wed, 19 Dec 2001 16:28:20 GMT
Hi Carsten,

On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 04:29:50PM +0100, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Now, if we stick to a simple rule, we could easily have all exceptions in
> the log and these only once which would make reading the log files a little
> bit easier. So, there are two alternatives:
> a) always log an exception when it's raised but not when it's catched
> b) always log an exception when it's catched but not when it's raised
>
> I'm +1 on b).
>
> Opinions?

	I agree with you mate, b). Also, in several places exceptions are
	caught, logged and then rethrown (and potentially re-logged
	elsewhere), which b) could cover too if we wanted (eg. only log
	at the most highest handler).

	Cheers,

	Marcus

     ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
    $:         $$$$:   ManageSoft GmbH
     ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany
           \_&&&&'     Email : Marcus.Crafter@managesoft.com
          &&&&.        Business Hours : +49 69 9757 200
    &&&&&&&: